catching up
It's been a while. I've not been very good at keeping up with this whole blogging thing. So let's see, where have I been to eat since the last time I blogged.
The most memorable meal that I had recently was going to Tartine for dinner on a beautiful spring evening. We brought a bottle of sauvignon blanc and every dish we ordered was fantastic. We ordered mostly specials. Amy had a scallop appetizer with a light herb broth and generously covered with tobiko. The contrast between the slightly salty and sour tobiko and the sweet and rich scallops was fantastic. I tried their french onion soup and it was one of the best I ever had. It wasn't over salty and peppery like at most cheap places. There was a fresh sweet taste of onions and just the right amount of saltiness and cheese flavor to complement the onion flavor. For main course, I had an excellent pork chop and Amy had a seared yellowfin tuna. Both dishes were just great. The first time we went to Tartine we liked it but were slightly disappointed. My sister had really hyped up the 'chicken pot pie' dish. We liked the pot pie but it was a little too much of the same thing. I think if I was in the right mood, I would have really liked it, but I think we will stick to picking items off the specials list that look good to us. And of course the french onion soup.
We went to the Union Square Coffee Shop for lunch a couple of days ago. You know, the one on Union Square East, at 16th I think? The one across the street from Blue Water Grill and where everyone likes to sit outside. The food was pretty light for the 'diner' type of food I was expecting. Portions were a little small for the price, but I can see that they are going for a lighter slightly more upscale menu despite the Coffee Shop name and diner look of the place. I would definitely go back again and perhaps try some of the many Brazilian items they have on the menu. Actually, sitting outside at the Coffe Shop made us really want to try Blue Water Grill. The outdoor seating at Blue Water Grill was not very well shaded, but they had all the windows and doors to the patio open so it looked really airy and inviting inside the dining room. Will definitely have lunch there sometime soon.
Let's see, we also went to Otto Enoteca with my sister a couple of weeks back. Each time I go I like the place more and more. I've gotten over the high price/portion ratio and am fulling embracing the gnoshing of the various appetizers and pizzas. The pastas are still somewhat uneven, but we haven't gone wrong by ordering appetizer specials and pizza specials to share. The wine by the caraffe is also great. The place can get super busy for dinner but lunch and late dining are great options, especially since the menu is so suitable for snacking.
One other place I wanted to write about is Risotteria on Bleecker in the West Village, close to Cornelia Street. We've been trying out a lot of the restaurants in the Cornelia/Bleecker area in the last few months. Risotteria was especially good for us because Amy loves risotto and they not only have great risotto, but such a wide variety of flavors that pretty much anyone can find something they like. The place is very small, but it's not too busy at lunch.
Actually, now that I've mentioned Risotteria, I have to write about Pearl Oyster Bar as well. Pearl Oyster Bar is a New England style seafood place, serving classics such as oyster rolls and lobster rolls. I find the lobster roll a little too sweet, but the oyster roll is fantastic every time. This most recent time I went, Amy ordered something that was absolutely fantastic. She had a pan fried skate sandwich and I just loved it. She had the skate last time, but it was on its own served with some kind of side starch. I loved the sandwich version because it has the sauce/dressing that they put in the oyster roll and it tastes great with the juicy skate. This is becoming one of my favorite lunch places, although it is a bit pricey.
Alrighty, that's a lot of stuff I've written tonight. Probably will be going out to lunch with Amy and my sister tomorrow and will be having lunch with friends visiting from out of town in Queens this Sunday. I don't think I've actually sat down and ate at a restaurant in Queens before. From what I've seen of Queens so far, I actually haven't seen any restaurants that seem interesting. I'll do some research before Sunday and try to find an interesting place. Will report back here if I have a notable experience.
Tartine
253 W 11th Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 229-2611
Coffee Shop
29 Union Square West
New York, NY 10003
(212) 243-7969
Otto Enoteca Pizzeria
1 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10003
(212) 995-9559
Risotteria
270 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 924-6664
Pearl Oyster Bar
18 Cornelia Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 691-8211

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home